“Absolutely fantastic.” “Very quick.” “A lot of fun to drive.” Judging from the responses to the all-new 2012 Jetta GLI, it looks like we’ve got a hit on our hands. But how is it different from the standard Jetta? Simple: we just added the letters “GLI.” Hold on—our designers and engineers are telling us that it took more than a few letters to create the sportiest, most performance-focused Jetta yet. In fact, they have a list of a few of the things that make the 2012 Jetta GLI the great car that it is.
1. The GLI has a sporty appearance. With new features like a flat-bottomed steering wheel, honeycomb front grille, vertical fog lights, smoked taillight lenses, and dual exhausts, the GLI is the sportiest-looking Jetta yet.
2. The GLI offers sporty performance. And you thought the GLI just looked fast. Go on—lift up the hood and take a peek at its award-winning 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, complete with 200 horsepower and 207 pound-feet of torque.
3. The GLI has the same XDS differential found in the GTI. The Volkswagen XDS™ (Cross Differential System) helps prevent inside wheel spin during cornering so you get better handling, faster acceleration, and more driving fun.
4. Not only is it sporty—it’s practical. Why keep all that driving fun to yourself? Thanks to its roomy interior, passengers can pile in the GLI and enjoy a comfortable (and thrilling) ride.
5. The GLI has an all-new interior. While they enjoy the ride, your passengers will also enjoy the stylish red stitching, brushed aluminum accents, and standard heated front seats.
6. The GLI features independent rear suspension. We’ve always been fans of independent thinking, even when it comes to a car’s suspension. This system allows each wheel to react independently to road conditions, ensuring a smooth ride.
7. You can choose between 17- and 18-inch alloy wheels. We know you love options, and you can’t go wrong with either of these wheel packages.
8. The GLI comes with our intelligent crash response system (ICRS). Because your safety is important to us, the ICRS steps in in the event of an airbag deployment and turns off the fuel pump, turns on the hazard lights, and unlocks all the doors.
9. You can add the Fender Premium audio system. The sound system is optional, but once you experience its nine speakers, 400 watts of power and crystal-clear sound, you’ll realize that it’s a must-have.
10. The GLI may cause reverse sticker shock. With an MSRP of only $23,495, we think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by just how affordable luxury performance can be.